Find Some Time To Explore The Mesmerizing Beauty Of Khunjerab Pass
Introduction to Khunjerab pass
Khunjerab Pass is a mountain pass on the northern border of Pakistan that is linked with China. It is located at a height of 4733 meters above sea level. It is the highest border in the entire world and the uppermost point on the Karakoram Highway. It is sited in the Karakoram peaks in a strategic location on the northern border of Gilgit Baltistan. On the southwest side, the border of Xinjiang region of China is located. The road was completed in 1982 and it is the metaled crossing border in the world. The road surface is made of gravel on the Pakistani side and on the Chinese side; it is made by using the asphalt.
When to visit Khunjerab pass?
During the monsoon season from December-April, due to the mudslide, the road is closed for all types of vehicles expect the trucks. The long but flat road is mostly covered with the white snow in the winter season. As a result, it is closed from November to May. If you want to visit Khunjerab Pass, select the time carefully. The road condition is not very good and the big potholes will create troubles for you by disturbing the car alignment.
How to access Khunjerab pass?
You can go from Islamabad to Gilgit from Besham and it will take 18 to 20 hours for the completion of this journey. If you will use the Babusar pass then you will reach within 14 to 15 hours. From Gilgit, within 6 to 7 hours for one side drive, you will get there. It is better to make a day trip to enjoy the journey.
Attractions of Khunjerab pass
- Due to the high elevation, you will feel shortness of breath. It will take some time to adjust there.
- You will see beautiful meadows that will be snow covered on all sides.
- The grassy land with small ponds is a real treat for the eyes. Bad weather conditions will remind you that you have gained the biggest achievement after crossing the Karakoram Highway.
- The road was built in 1960 and 1970s and it is simply wonderful. People called it the 8th wonder of the world.
- You can go near the gate for making the pictures and after staying there for some minutes, you have to return back. It is not possible to stay here for a long time.
- On the way back, you will enjoy the views of Glacier Breeze Passu.
- On a long staircase at the top of the peak, you will see a small restaurant. There are 150 steps for reaching this hotel and you will find a good meal.
- The apricot cake and tea will make your lunch amazing and then you can take the way back to Hunza. It is a time-consuming drive but worth-visiting once in life.
Hotels in Khunjerab pass
There are many gorgeous places in Pakistan and the Khunjerab pass is one of them. It is famous for its scenic attraction that will make your trip memorable.